Friday, May 01, 2009

A day in the life of me in which I wish I were a millionaire and a wise old lady

Progression of scenes:

A knock on the office door.
Me wading through papers 
and people to open it.
A wordless student.
Two moist, brimming eyes.
"Good-bye, teacher".
Questions unanswered.
Me searching for the right thing to say.
"Don't give up your dream... Continue your education
wherever you are... I enjoyed teaching you..."
Words that never quite fit in the jigzaw.
My outstretched handshake
grasped and pressed to a forehead for a
silent eternity of seconds.
Me babbling again.
Finally wordlessness mercifully sets in ,
For really, what is there to say
in the face of dashed dreams?





1 comment:

jc said...

What can be said in those circumstances? I think our students don't know how much they can break our hearts.